Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Going once, going twice...SOLD

"The safest way to double your money is to fold it over once and put it in your pocket. "
Kin Hubbard

Twice a year Utah State has an annual bid-sale where they take items like desks, computers, chairs, speakers, keyboards, cars etc, and have a giant sale that's open for the public. Monday morning my father and I went to the giant garage where all the items are kept. We decided to go a day or too early and look around for what we wanted to buy. There were two keyboards, two 19" flat computer screens, and a scanner that we were eyeballing. We've gone previous years so we knew that if we didn't get there early Wednesday, someone would get to these specific items before we could.

Once we got home my father let me know the GP(game plan) and told me that on Tuesday night I better be well rested because he wanted to wake up at 7 a.m and stand in line until 9 a.m. He said "Once the doors open, go straight to the keyboards while I get the monitors. We'll worry about the scanner if there was time." It was an intense amount of responsibility..... but i was mentally and physically prepared to push people out of my way and stand in the cold for 2 hours. Tuesday night came along and I knew I had to sleep early. That didn't really work out when my friend "Kastumo" challenged me to an allnighter. Long story short; I fell asleep at 4 and thank goodness my father slept in and woke me up at 7:30 am. We got to the bid-sale at 8 a.m and there were only about 40 people ahead of us.

It was 9 a.m and they were just about to open the doors. Someone came and gave us a little speech "No pushing- no shoving and if you see an orange bid paper do not take that item. It has already been sold; it's considered shop lifting if you do! Alright, let's not make you wait out here any longer." So they opened the gate and everyone floored in single file line. Once we got in I followed the GP and went straight to the keyboards. When we were there on Monday my father and I stuffed the keyboards we wanted at the very bottom of the cupboard they were in. When I reached the keyboards I scuffed through and got the keyboards we saved. FIVE DOLLARS. On my way to the check-stand I grabbed the scanner. TEN DOLLARS. I met up with my dad who had the two computer screens. SIXTY DOLLARS EACH.

In the end we got everything that we wanted and spent less than $200 dollars. We actually ended up getting a computer tower as well. It was an early morning for me but well worth it. We looked at some of the cars on sale too. Can you say CHEE- to the-EEEEP. That's pretty much how it went down- long day; glad it's over! Until next time (:

No comments:

Post a Comment