Thursday, February 10, 2011

Authors galore...


"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."- Maya Angelou

I remember reading some great books back in the day; the type of books that made you yearn to just get up and make a difference. Those that actually kept my interest were books about those who've gone through tough situations, only to still put their time and effort towards helping others succeed. Those were the type of characters I really admired and were envious of. To me it was always comforting reading these inspiring stories. I was, and still am, curious of their whereabouts far after I've read through the book. My first week at Utah state I took a connections class that all incoming freshman are required to take. In that class we read an amazing book called "
Outcasts United" by Warren St. John. Our professor told us that Luma Mufleh (the main character) would be coming to Utah State to talk about the book and answer questions. I probably asked her about 50 questions while she was signing my book. I was shocked and delighted that she came to our school. I felt we bonded a tad bit when she actually pronounced my name right(very rare). Her life was really inspiring and it made it all the more real to actually meet her in person.

Later that semester I met another author named JoAn D. Criddle, who wrote "
To Destroy You Is No Loss"- The Odyssey of a Cambodian Family. Her story described how she came in contact with a Combodian family, who suffered through the horrible Khmer Roughe, brought them to American and helped them get back on their feet. It also gave an intense amount of information about the Khmer Roughe. Of course when JoAn D. Criddle came I bombarded her with questions as she signed my book.

Just when I thought that this author streak couldn't get any better; I recently volunteered at USU's annual Latino Family Day. Where those with Hispanic decent where greatly informed on what our school has to offer. We had Judge Andrew A Valdez as the guest speaker. He shared his humble story on how he succeed in life. Letting us know that nobody can make it alone. I received two of his autobiography's, one for myself, and one for my younger sister, Fattima. He signed them both, giving us some helpful advice. It's nice to get some wise words from some really amazing people. Hopefully this streak keeps going because I'm lovin' it.
Peace in the Middle East.

No comments:

Post a Comment